N x NW extreme: Hugh Lane to Henrietta St, Broadstone and Grangegorman.
We will meet outside the front door of the Hugh Lane Gallery on Parnell Square North. Time allowing we’ll briefly explore this magnificent 18th-century mansion, today Dublin’s municipal gallery, the Hugh Lane Gallery. From the “Hugh Lane,” we’ll walk North and West to see and discuss some of the many historic, civic, residential and ecclesiastical treasures of this district, including…
- Dublin’s most enigmatic church, the Black Church;
- Glasgow- style tenement buildings;
- Gandon’s magnificent King’s Inns;
- John Skipton Mulvaney’s sublime Broadstone station and the extraordinary transport and engineering history of this area.
- The Grangegorman area, formerly a Terra incognito, with its network of mental, health and penal institutions, hospitals, clinics, prisons, asylums and Work Houses, built from the 1700s onward, enclosed behind old high stone walls.
- Among buildings, we will consider are two enormous Georgian-era structures:
- Francis Johnston’s Extraordinary Women’s Penitentiary and
- his Richmond Asylum, formerly part of a complex of Work Houses so vast it once had its own system of coinage.
- A poignant tour through an area that even many Dublin people know relatively little about.
N x NW extreme Hugh Lane to Grangegorman is a long, in-depth walking tour: guests will need a reasonable degree of fitness and stamina. Please note also extra supplements (extra fees) apply.
Tour time: 2hr 45 minutes minimum up to 3 hours 25 minutes.
Distance 5.6 -6.9 km. Price: by application when you provide us with your dates please.
Please note we will not be able to answer inquiries regarding public tours submitted below. This contact form is exclusive to order your own private tour. Private tours cost from €180- €250 (for your entire group, not per individual). Large groups and corporate tours may cost more. Hotel meets and pick-ups may cost extra. Exact quotation on the supply of your date, numbers, and details, please. All marked fields required.
Please note we will not be able to answer any inquiries on public tours submitted below. For public tour inquiries please go here.
N x NW extreme Contact Form