As we see in the above image (a detail from a Bird’s Eye view of Dublin, first published in the London Illustrated News back in 1846) Portobello was once a landscape of orchards and of 18th century pleasure gardens. Only later in the 19th century was it developed as a mix of wealthy, substantial Victorian red-bricks, mixed with smaller streets of artisan and philanthropic housing. Ever since this fascinating district has been a haven for Jewish refugees and for Irish revolutionaries, for artists, sculptors, writers and much more. The notional birthplace of Leopold Bloom; the former Little Jerusalem, now one of the most thriving districts of Dublin. Join Arran Henderson to explore Portobello, all done in his usual relaxed, sociable, yet highly erudite “Dublin Decoded” style.
On this tour you will find, view and discuss…
- the homes of famous painters and sculptors including George Bernard Shaw,
- a famous Rabbi’s house
- substantial Victorian homes built for Dublin’s 19th century middle classes,
- the home of a future president of Israel.
- the home of a pair of actor-brothers, who won Oscars and awards and who worked with a galaxy of greats, including Hitchcock, Ford and Howard Hawks, Cary Grant, John Wayne and Katherine Hepburn.
- workers’ cottages, built by a 19th century Philanthropic Housing agency.
- the site of vanished harbours, a vanished basin/reservoir, and an entire vanished park which once boasted a former, large ornamental lake.
- hear tales of fireworks and tightrope walkers, and of some of the most famous entertainers and dare devils of the mid 19th century, and of their unexpected links to 20th century musical history!
- see the childhood home of a president of Israel.
- the home of a man who made possible the entire, modern city of Los Angeles!
To reserve your private Portobello guided walking tour please fill out the contact form below. Feel free to give us any other useful information, including any notes on special interests, mobility and so on. Please note this this form is for private tour enquiries only. Thank you.
above: two images from a recent Portobello Tour with Arran Henderson of Dublin Decoded Tours